The First Geek Couture Fashion Show Was Absolutely Fabulous
On July 24 in San Diego, the first ever Comic-Con geek couture fashion show took place. Fandom fashion retailer Her Universe called upon the galaxy’s most stylish designers, both professional and amateur, to present their original, handmade creations on the runway.
What we saw was not cosplay. Oh no, these gowns could have belonged on the pages of Vogue or at New York Fashion Week. As one of the designers put it: for those who aren’t geeks, the clothing would just seem cute and unique, but for those who are geeks and can recognise the reference, the garment has a special twist.
Above are some of my personal favourite creations, though visit the link above for images of all contestants who participated.
1. Loki from Thor
2. The Architects of Time from Doctor Who
3. Wolverine from X-Men
4. Effie Trinket from The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
5. The Hobbit Wedding Dress (it had a little pull to reveal a Hobbit-esque trouser underneath!)
6. The Fourth Doctor from Doctor Who
7. Dalek Weddings Dress from Doctor Who
8. Regina Mills/Evil Queen from Once Upon a Time (the full gown emerged from underneath the winter coat - understandably a crowd favourite!)
9. Thrace from Battlestar Galactica
10. Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games: Catching Fire